Monday, April 2, 2012

A trip to Cartimar

One relatively lazy afternoon at work, my usual chat with my "seat mate" that day, who happens to be new to betta fish keeping albeit quite excited at that, wandered into the pet keeping hobby. And when he told me he didn't know about Cartimar, I was a bit shocked. When I realized that most of my coworkers weren't also, I decided to create my very first blog entry on this place so that everyone would experience the joy to go there.

Well, if you are ever by the Philippines, you may just want to check out this place we call Cartimar. It has been there ever since I can remember. As a child, I'd always wait in anticipation for my mom to need to go to that place for some errands, so that I can tag along and gawk at the things the stores have on sale. From pets as small as white mice to ones as big as Siberian Huskies.

Here is a quick link to google maps to get you started on a trip there.


View Larger Map

And here's what the entrance to the pet center looks like...

Now, on to the guide. Below is a quick look at the areas within Cartimar as well as the traffic directions (i.e. one way streets etc). If you should be going there by car, parking spaces are a plenty, just not so on weekends/holidays.


Fish pet shops
There are a lot of stores selling fish and fish related accessories here. Let's go thru the ones that I find give either the most value for money or variety.

1. A1 Pet Station (CCV #1 & 2)- with your back against Taft Ave, this is located along the right aisle of the 3 rows of pet shops along the main pet center. I find that they offer the best bang for your buck in terms of both fish and aquarium accessories. They also offer good variety in the products that they sell and at the same time carrying other stuff as well (i.e. rabbits, small pet accessories, dog cages, etc.)

Here is a look at the front of A1 Pet Station
Their arowana tank set-up and the stingray pond

Some of the goldfish that they sell
2. Pet City (#20 Bike Center) - Located somewhat farther from the pet section you'll find Pet City. This store offers really quality products and some of them they distribute exclusively. They also offer good advise and may sometimes help you set up your aquarium. You can get everything you need here to set up your tank, from plants, fish, CO2 systems, stands, substrate, etc. Although I find their prices quite expensive, I still recommend the store especially for those who want to buy quality products, those who can't find this stuff elsewhere, or for those who may simply want to window shop ;)
the front of their store

Really high quality gold fish (I heard they sell at P10,000 a pop!)

one of their numerous planted tank set up

plants for sale

more plants for sale

Some very beautiful snails you can't find elsewhere

Tiny pet frogs, again, you can't find these elsewhere (selling from  P2,500 up)

A shrimp tank. Not the common shrimp mind you. Again, can't seem to find these elsewhere.

More snails
3. Joy Joy pet shot - You'll find at least 3 of these stores in Cartimar last I looked. They offer cheap products but if you know how to look you'll find a lot of gems here. Be careful though, it's not just 1 time I bought a diseased fish here.

Their displays of some exotic fishes
4. Aqualand - Aqualand is located at what some may call the back part of Cartimar. Yes, it's floors may be wet unlike in the main area that's all pretty and dry but you'll find cheap products here if you know where to look and the stores here may occasionally show you some products that the main stores don't have.
Aqualand. The gate on the left is where Cartimar dumps it's garbage so expect the smell

The parking area at aqualand

Some feeder guppys for sale. I usually buy from the 2nd store on the left coming from the garbage dump gate ;)

Same store's display of feeder mealworms

More feeder guppies 
Carp

Corals, liverocks, saltwater fish from one of the stores

One of the saltwater aquarium set ups
Bird pet shops
In the past, I also took care of pet birds. Let me share some of the shops I frequent.
1. I don't know the name of this shop (I just have a picture to show you here :) ) but they are located at the right aisle center part of the main pet shop area, they are authorized to sell exotic birds (they have a big tarpaulin sign saying so) so if you're into them you can't go wrong here. The owner is also quite knowledgeable on the topic and the shop has most of what you need.
One of their African Grey Parrots for sale
2. The bird shop to the left of A1 pet station is where I buy bird seeds. It's relatively cheap and they offer some good birdfood as well as pet birds.
Birds and bird food for sale (Kuya is preparing my order of bird seeds)

Some accessories they sell

Overall look at the shop

African lovebirds

Finches?


Dog pet shops
Well, aside from A1 pet station, I also buy from pet square. I buy dog food there (they sell the dog food I buy cheaper than the ones at market and their stocks are always new). I also buy dog soaps and shampoos from them. They're located past Aqualand, near Felimarc.

Front of the store
Plants
You'll find a lot of shops selling plants and plant related stuff near Aqualand. Anything from garden soil, Bonsai, Cacti, bamboo, fruit and vegetable plants, etc.

Some stores selling plants
Felimarc
Across Pet Square you'll find Felimarc. The best way to describe it is it's a mini version of Cartimar. You'll find a shop that makes aquariums here to your specs, first shop on the right coming from Pet Square. I recommend to buy aquariums from them if you have a tight budget.

Near the center you'll find a shop selling Koi. Some more fish stores. A veterinary clinic (haven't tried it yet since I go to another vet not in Cartimar).

At the far end you'll find "Anglers", a store selling fishing supplies! I myself am an avid sports fisherman and I recommend dropping by Anglers and talking to Mang Tomas or his nephew. You'll find a lot of supplies, tips, and good stories :).

Felimarc. You'll see the Aquarium store on the right and the fishing store on the far end

Miscellaneous Shops
Well if you're fond of pictures like me, here are more of them :)
Left row of Cartimar pet shop

Some aquarium plants for sale

Angelfish for sale

Street coming from Aqualand and the plant stores

Right row of pet shops

Dogs for sale

Well, let me just call 'em fluffy pigeons :)

Fishtalk pet shop as well as the entrance to Aqualand and Plant stores coming from a side street

More dogs for sale

Back signage of Cartimar Pet Center
 MK Kitchen Supply
For the foodies out there, you'll also find cheap kitchen supplies from a store called MK Kitchen Supply. It's located across the food court on the side of Cartimar where Greenwich is. You can buy anything from home kitchen equipment to industrial kitchen equipment here.
Front of MK Kitchen Supply

Some of their products
Tiangge
You'll find stores selling all kinds of shoes, shirts, etc along the Tiangge. You'll even find sewers offering to patch up or sew new stuff for you!

Shoes for sale

Row of Tiangge
Savemore
Last of all you have your trusty supermarket for the stuff you can't find in the wet market of Cartimar
Savemore
Well, that's all folks! I hope that this blog entry helped you in some way to become familiar with Cartimar. If you have any questions, please feel free to comment and I'll try to respond. See ya there!

1 comment: